These are still cooling on the baking sheet upstairs; I had to come downstairs for a bit to get away because I couldn’t stop eating them!
This is the first of the New Year’s Eve recipes I’m making for tomorrow night’s dinner. I plan to put a dish of them out for guests to snack on as they arrive and sip their champagne cocktails. It’s a recipe I found on the Food Network Website. Thank you Emeril!
(recipe courtesy of Emeril via Food Network website)
*note: I halved the recipe because there are only 8 of us for dinner tomorrow! For the egg, I whisked with water and then only used about half of that mixture.
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 cups assorted shelled nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts) *I used cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, and macadamias.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne *I omitted, since there is already cayenne in the Essence and I didn’t want the spice to be too strong for mixed company.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt *I used coarse ground salt.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together egg white and water until frothy. Add the nuts and toss to coat. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, Essence, cayenne, and salt. Add to the nuts and stir to coat evenly. Spread the nuts on the prepared pan and bake until dry, about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. *Note: I left the nuts in the oven for about 60 minutes because they didn’t seem quite done at 45 min. Remove from the oven and stir to separate. Let cool on the baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Essence (Emeril’s Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from “New New Orleans Cooking”, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.